There’s nothing like a cup of hot cocoa to drive away the miseries of winter. It warms our insides, soothes us, and satisfies our sweet tooth.
Cocoa is made from cacao beans harvested in the tropical regions of South and Central America and also in Western Africa. Cacao beans are roasted and finely ground to produce cocoa powder, cocoa mass, and chocolate. Cacao contains a lot of protein and plenty of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin A, magnesium, iron, chromium, anandamide, theobromine, manganese, antioxidants, Vitamin C, and omega-6 fatty acids.
Cocoa doesn’t just taste good. It’s also good for the body in many ways. Consider the following advantages of cocoa:
- It is rich in antioxidants that block harmful free radicals in the body. Antioxidants provide protection against many diseases including premature aging.
- It is rich in omega-6 fatty acids that are important for cellular repair. It also hastens the healing of wounds and scars.
- It is a great source of vitamin C and is important in protecting the skin from environmental damage.
- It contains raw enzymes that help in cell repair and rejuvenation.
- It helps shield the skin from harmful UV rays and can act as a natural sunscreen.
- It helps increase blood flow to the skin, facilitating a healthy glow.
- It is the number a prime source of magnesium. Magnesium is an alkaline mineral that helps support the brain, heart, and digestive system. Magnesium is important in building strong bones. It also balances the chemistry of the brain and supports feelings of happiness and well-being.
- It has an abundance of iron, a critical element in nutrition. Iron is part of hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying protein that keeps the human body healthy.
- It contains chromium, an important trace mineral that balances blood sugar. Chromium helps detoxify the liver from the alcohol that builds up when people splurge on sugars and starches.
It’s true that hot cocoa comes with calories, but it also offers a host of health-friendly benefits. Treat yourself to a cup from time to time.