Beauty & Truth uses aloe vera as an ingredient in many of its leading lines of skin care products. Aloe vera was used for different purposes in antiquity. The ancient Egyptians referred to aloe vera as the plant of immortality. Through the ages, aloe vera has often been a focus of attention, especially because of its medicinal and therapeutic attributes. It is perhaps most famous as a therapy for sunburn.
Aloe vera is a cactus plant in the Liliaceae family. It is abundant in dry regions such as Africa and India. For centuries, different civilizations have used aloe vera for different medicinal applications. The leaves of the aloe vera plant secrete a clear gel after they are broken off from the rest of the plant. The gel is topically applied to soothe the skin and heal wounds.
Many studies have been conducted to examine the benefits of the aloe vera plant. Results showed several properties that are effective in the treatment of skin conditions, including dry or flaky skin, hair and scalp problems, cosmetic ailments, and more. Aloe vera was also found to be effective in treating minor skin infections, wounds and burns, elevated lipids, and some types of cysts.
Consider these attributes of aloe vera:
- It is a treatment for sunburn – Aloe vera has powerful sunburn healing abilities that occur at the epithelial level of the skin. Skin heals faster with the help of aloe vera due to the plant’s antioxidants.
- It acts as a moisturizer – Aloe vera hydrates the skin without leaving a greasy feeling, making it perfect for all skin types, including oily complexions. Women can use aloe vera gel as a moisturizer prior to the application of mineral-based makeup to prevent drying of the skin. Men can use aloe vera to treat small cuts after shaving.
- It is an acne treatment – Aloe vera contains the hormones auxin and gibberellin. These hormones have anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce skin swelling and acne.
- It fights aging – Aloe vera contains several antioxidants including beta-carotene and vitamins C and E that can improve the natural firmness of the skin.
- It is rich in nutrients – Aloe vera contains more than 75 nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, sugars, and enzymes that are helpful for the skin’s health.
The many natural benefits of aloe vera make it a prime ingredient in many of the finest skin care products on the market.